Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2013

The good, the bad and the ugly

"These are men's hats, the women's are over there," said the clerk in 'Lamle's Western Wear and Tack' yesterday.  "I have a lot of testosterone, so don't worry about it, I belong here," I replied, to the amusement of a very handsome 50-ish gentleman near me.  The clerk walked away and the gentleman and I bonded over cowboy hats for Stampede. 

"I used to have a gorgeous green felt cowboy hat, but when I had to move away for two years and rent my house, I never found it?" he lamented.  "Someone poofed it," I explained, using a unique phrase an old friend had coined years ago, when talking about things his friends had stolen.  "Never seen(sic) a green one again," he added.  And he won't.  Must be something about $$$$$$$.

I bought a fabulous, black, men's cowboy hat, which suits me because broad and stylish, it works.  The women's hats I tried on were straw, tiny, cheap and cheesy.  Men's Stampede anyone?  You got it.  Only men's cowboy hats are serious.  Naturally, I bought one.

So off we went to the first Stampede BBQ at The Ranchmen's Club today.  It was fabulous -- groaning with prairie oysters (read, bull testicles), beef-beef-beef-and-more-beef, chicken, pasta, sausages, thousands of salads..........you name it, it was there in abundance.  Thinking of the laps I would have had to endure had I actually sampled everything, I consumed practically nothing.  Hope I am not starting to be OCD about my weight again, but today I accidentally did 10 extra laps 'cause I was talking, visiting and completely lost count!  Oh well, good to go into Stampede with a few more under my belt.

"What the hell is the problem?" I asked myself, as I returned from the Y at 7:30 after my swim.  Had to come to a complete stop on our private road because an outgoing car had pulled over on the wrong side, driver's door flung open; two others were waiting to pass.  What did I see?  A young, squating woman vomiting miserably.

Yes folks, welcome to the seamier side of Stampede.

No comments:

Post a Comment