Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Homosexuals and Other "Man" Stuff................

I knew he was a "Mitchum".  'Ride the Wild Surf' was playing this afternoon and one of the surfers was "James Mitchum", the spitting image of one of my favourite actors, Robert.  Can't decide who is sexier, Robert Mitchum, Cary Grant or William Holden.  Those guys are the absolute best.

No one even comes close.

But what a dumb movie.  "Fabian" starred in it.  Can you believe "Fabian" is 70 years old?!  He was a heartthrob back in the day, but guess what?  Got out of the draft thanks to a letter from his doctor, stating........"his induction into the army could cause him to develop homosexual tendencies".

Nice one.

Another heartthrob in that movie was Tab Hunter.  He is now 81 years old and a declared homosexual.  During Hollywood's studio era, Hunter says, life "was difficult for me, because I was living two lives at that time. A private life of my own, which I never discussed, never talked about to anyone.  And then my Hollywood life, which was just trying to learn my craft and succeed..."   He emphasizes that the word 'gay' "wasn't even around in those days, and if anyone ever confronted me with it, I'd just kind'a freak out.  I was in total denial.  "There was a lot written about my sexuality, and the press was pretty darn cruel," the actor says, but what "moviegoers wanted to hold in their hearts were the boy-next-door marines, cowboys and swoon-bait sweethearts I portrayed."

Yes, Tab was gorgeous, as so many homosexuals are.

Re-reading 'Sahib, the British Soldier in India', by Richard Holmes.  This book explains so much about B's background.  Having been born in Bombay, with both sides of his family part of The Raj for more than 200 years, B epitomizes colonial values:  love of Queen and country, courage and loyalty.  The photos in this book might as well have been of his forbearers.  In fact, I am looking at one right now of his great-grandfather, grandfather and uncle -- standing and seated in a studio in India, decked out in army and police number one dress, looking decidedly unfriendly and aggressively fierce.  No one is smiling.  

These people were nothing if not definite.  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment