Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tried, but couldn't

Cochrane being Cochrane, they had a big, beautiful Canada Day party at one of the local parks.  Went, but couldn't stay.  Felt like a traitor, abandoning the family, but I can't do big public events. 

It was the same even when I was much younger.  Couldn't hack the Ex, never went near Winterlude, avoided every mass rock, folk or blues concert, ignored the Tulip Festival -- you name it, just not for me.  When the kids were little, we had to take them to the Ex, but I limited it to a couple of rides, some candy floss, a quick whirl around the midway and that was it.  But at least I could hold my head up at the local playground and say, "Of course I took the kids to the Ex."  Otherwise, some righteous mother would undoubtedly have called the Children's Aid!

Of course, you can't park anywhere near any venue, so we parked far, far away and lugged everything -- chairs, bags, food and most importantly, the grandson, to the gate.  I was accused of wearing "stupid" shoes, but the little sandals I had on are the most comfortable mini-heels I own.  Could walk in them for miles.  Some shoes are like that.   

By the way, why do they always rope off the last 500 yards near the entrance for...........who?  There are always "officious" officials with florescent vests who set up barricades and just love to tell you can't go here and you can't stop there and you have to turn around............and other annoying and mystifyingly-ridiculous orders.

Went with daughter's in-laws -- two of the nicest people you will ever meet and much better "sports" apparently than I.  (Note: they are both a number of years younger than B and I and those few years make a noticeable difference.)  By the time we arrived the park was jammed.  Needing shade because of my numerous facial cancers, I was slightly taken aback to see that every inch of the place was bathed in sweltering sun.  The only shade?  A tiny patch wedged between the porta-potties on the right and the smokers on the left.  I headed there and the in-laws, being the class people they are, came and set up to keep me company.

The smokers, of course, ignored the numerous loud announcements that smoking was prohibited and just lit up with gay, addicted abandon.  Even when toddler grandson wandered over, they continued to puff away.  The only saving grace, as father-in-law said, was that the wind was blowing "that way".  He was referring to the toilets, but that meant the smoke was wafting disgustingly into our nostrils from the other direction.  Can't have everything!

After about an hour, I had to leave because I cannot do porta-potties.  No way.  Anymore.  Ever.  I noticed that as usual, they never have a sufficient quantity so as the line started to grow, I realized I had to get out of there.  Said my goodbyes -- to the annoyance of my daughter -- and walked back to my car. 

I must say, I am sorry I missed the great entertainment.  George Canyon was the headliner and I do love his music.

Sorry to all, but just can't do those events anymore.       



     



No comments:

Post a Comment