Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

How do you spell that?

"Please give me your name," said the voice at the other end of a 1-866 line.  "Nancy," I replied.  How do you spell that?  How many ways are there to spell "Nancy"?  How about one.  Then we had to deal with the last name.  M A R L E Y -- hyphen -- C L A R K E...with an "E".  Do you think that worked? 

It didn't.

All I was trying to do was book a hotel room in Invermere, B.C., for one night in August.  "Where are you located," I asked.  "Egypt."  At that I hung up.  Finally booked myself directly through a local number.  All these places that publish only a 1-800 number lose out.   

I am going to do a 2K open-water swim and think I will complete it in just over an hour.  Whatever my time, I will not be last.  After all the meets I have attended with my daughter, this is the first one I have registered in.  I am very excited!  She and grandson will be there to cheer me on.

        

1 comment:

  1. It would appear that some of the folk here in these Southern states name their children by filling a Crown Royal bag with Scrabble tiles and as the tiles are withdrawn, so the child is named.

    Your occasional struggles with your hyphenated surname remind me of the story, can't vouch for its authenticity, of a young girl named Le-ah whose name was mispronounced constantly by her schoolteachers.

    Apparently not LAY-ah, lay-AH nor LEE-ah was correct. Her mother stopped by the school one day to correct the situation.

    She explained that her child's name was pronounced as it was spelled, "Le-dash-ah".

    ReplyDelete