Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

More old football players

"I lived in Ottawa for a time in the '60s," said the older-ish man I was talking to at a reception last evening.  "Really?"  "Yeah, I played for the Ottawa Rough Riders back then," he continued.  Well, that peaked my interest because during the '60s and '70s, Ottawa was football-mad and my Uncle Elgin used to haul all six kids and cousins to practically every game. 

We always had a ball -- freezing cold though it usually was.

At first his toupee put me off.  Why men have to wear them I have absolutely no clue?!  They are kidding no one.  They look like someone popped a dead animal on top of their heads a hundred years ago, the real hair and the fake no longer sharing the same colour.  But I guess if women can obviously dye their hair and wear extensions and wigs, men can have their silly toupees.

But I digress. 

Apparently I was chatting with Jack Urness, who played third-string quarterback for a number of CFL teams, including Ottawa.  "But the star of the family was really my twin brother, Ted," he added as we proceeded to run through all the greats of the Ottawa club, guys like  Russ Jackson, Ronnie Stewart, Tony Gabriel, Ron Lancaster, Bob O'Billovich, Bo Scott, Bobby Simpson, Joe Poirier, Kay Vaughan, Whit Tucker, Tom Clements, Don Sutherin........and of course the great Frank Claire, after whom Lansdowne is named.  The 1960s and 1970s were the Rough Riders' glory years, during which they won the Grey Cup five times, including their last victory in 1976. 

Came home and googled Ted Urness.  Yes, he was a star.  Born in Regina, he was one of the best offensive linemen in the league and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1989.  Got all this from the internet, but it sure was fun chatting to a player from my ancient era. 

You just never know who you'll meet at a cocktail party out here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment